Charles W. Green Conservation Area

Driving Directions

From Columbia, take Highway 63 south 9 miles, take Minor Hill Road west 0.50 mile.

About This Area

This Conservation Area was once part of the Peter and Eli Bass Plantation, the largest plantation west of the Mississippi before Missouri was admitted to the Union. Peter Bass, of Dutch decent, born in Baltimore in 1769 moved to St Louis as a partner of John Jacob Astor Fur Company and bought 10,000 acres at this Boone County site.  Peter was also a Columbia merchant and a member of the Smithton Company, originator of Smithton – later Columbia.

Peter Bass was noted as an early immigrant to the Western frontier, a man of remarkable energy and foresight. He was a good friend of Thomas Jefferson. With his death in 1829, his son Eli proceeded to operate the plantation and build the mansion. Eli became prominent as an early organizer of the Democrat Party in Missouri and an early advocate of higher education. He was a member of the first Board of Curators for the University of Missouri.

Eli operated a model plantation with all of his stock imported from England and Scotland and there were almost forty shops and structures necessary for the conducting of plantation business. The mansion burned in 1917 and the main fireplace and chimney are listed in the Boone County Historical Sites Register.

The first acquisition of the 340 acres occurred in 1956 with the primary goal of providing the Game Research Section in Columbia with an area on which research projects could be conducted. Investigations have been conducted on captive and wild populations of rabbits, quail, pheasants, deer, doves, waterfowl, squirrels, and otters among others. In recent years the area has been commonly used as a training, storage and maintenance facility.

General Information




Owned by MDC

  • Research Area, not open to public use.
  • Site of several special hunts such as Ladies Deer, Youth Dove, Youth Deer, Disabled Permittees' Deer hunts.

(Activity Explanations)
(Population Definition)
No Identified Activities

Go to Top of Page

Conservation Department Facilities
Facility Item Name Count Comments
Other buildings  Area has office/shop, locked boat storage shed, fenced and locked gravel storage lot, covered boat storage lean-to, four grain bins, locked barn at office area. West side has two poultry brooder houses, lab/garage, grain bin, open air mammal cages.  
Staffed Office Mechanic Shop   

Go to Top of Page

Feature Item Name Count Size Comments
No Identified Features

Go to Top of Page

Land Cover Types
Land Type Acres Comments
Total Area Acres:342.80 

Go to Top of Page

Designated Trails
Trail Name Trail Type Length
No Designated Trails

Go to Top of Page

Shooting Range General Information

This area has no shooting ranges.

Go to Top of Page