Henry Jackson Waters and C. B. Moss Memorial Wildlife Area

Notice

For questions on use of this area, please contact City of Columbia Park Services Manager, Gabe Huffington at 573-874-7202.

Driving Directions

In Columbia, take Stadium Boulevard west about 0.50 mile from Highway 63, then Old Highway 63 south 0.25 mile.

Highlights

This area is mostly forest with some grassland. Facilities/features: intermittent stream (Grindstone Creek, which features 75-foot-high limestone bluffs).

About This Area

In 1853, Daniel Doresy Moss acquired this property which became known as "Hill Crest Farm". Mr. Moss was an associate professor of chemistry at the Unversity of Missouri and he began the business of producing smallpox vaccine at this location. This business continued for several years until competition in the vaccine business made it more profitable to raise cows on the farm. Dairying became the chief income operation of Hill Crest Farm, and this business, under several ownerships but using the same name, "Hillcrest Dairy", was the primary use of the property.

The Moss home, a stately, two-story, frame structure was the site of much social life for Columbians during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. After the Moss Family ceased living in the home, it was converted to small apartments and during the 1950's and 60's, University of Missouri students frequently rented rooms in the home.

At the time of its donation to the Department of Conservation, the Moss home, the "Grade A" dairy barn and foreman's house had been converted to small, rental apartments. Students who rented these rooms enjoyed the best of the country living while still being less than one mile from the campus of the university.

Both Mr. C.B. Moss and Mr. H.J. Waters donated their respective parts of the Hillcrest farm to the Department in 1972. Each retained life estate for himself, and in the case of Mr. Waters, for his wife also. Both gentlemen preceded Mrs. Waters in death, and in 1975 the Department took possession of the Moss twenty acre tract which contained the house and converted apartments.

The house was remodeled to serve as office space for department personnel based in Columbia, and it served in this capacity until January, 1983. Department personnel moved from the Moss house at that time and it was to be sold for material salvage in preparation for the construction of the Columbia District Headquarters. Shortly after it was empty, an arsonist set the structure afire in the early morning hours and it was completely incinerated.

The Department took possession of the entire area after Mrs. Waters' death in 1985. In 2009 the Department entered into an agreement with the City of Columbia to manage part of this area as a city park.  The MDC offices and shop were remodeled to accomodate park activities and other park developments are ongoing.

General Information

Central

Boone

573-815-7900

Owned by MDC

  • Natural features include 75-foot limestone bluffs along Grindstone Creek, which flows 0.25 mile through the area.
  • Firearms hunting is prohibited.
  • Fishing prohibited.

Activities
Activity
(Activity Explanations)
Comments
(Population Definition)
Hunting-Deer Fair population. Archery only.  
Hunting-Turkey Fair population. Archery only.  

Go to Top of Page

Conservation Department Facilities
Facility Item Name Count Comments
Parking Lotaccessible   
Privy/Restroomaccessible  Located in office. 

Go to Top of Page

Features
Feature Item Name Count Size Comments
Fishless Pond  0.02 acres  
Stream - Permanent Grindstone Creek 0.25 miles  

Go to Top of Page

Land Cover Types
Land Type Acres Comments
Forest and Woodland 75.00 mixed hardwoods 
Other 18.00  
Grassland (non-prairie) 20.00 primarily fescue 
Total Area Acres:113.22 

Go to Top of Page

Designated Trails
Trail Name Trail Type Length
No Designated Trails

Go to Top of Page

Shooting Range General Information

This area has no shooting ranges.

Go to Top of Page